A personal stylist seems like something only the rich and famous can afford to have. However, it is entirely possible for just about anyone to hire their own stylist. All you have to do is know how to go about the process of hiring one.
This is exactly what we’ll be exploring here. Keep reading to find out how to hire a personal stylist. Along the way, you’ll also learn more about what personal stylists are capable of and how you can find one that best suits your needs.
What Does a Personal Stylist Do?
A personal stylist is someone who helps you develop and maintain your personal style. They do this by giving you helpful tips and advice on various aspects of your look. These help you by improving the first impression you make.
This often starts with clothing. Similar to when you hire a personal shopper, a personal stylist will help you pick out clothing that suits you. This can include advising you about new pieces of clothing that you should buy or different ways to wear the clothing you already have. In this way, they can help find colors that look better on you or pick out clothing that better suits your body type.
The work of a personal stylist also extends beyond clothing. After all, what you wear isn’t the only aspect of how you look. So, many personal stylists will give advice on how to wear your hair, do your makeup, or generally change your appearance in a way that suits you best.
Some personal stylists will even go beyond this. They will give advice relating to your home or other aspects of your aesthetic.
Should You Hire a Personal Stylist?
Anyone can benefit from a personal stylist. However, the decision on hiring one or not is up to you. If you’re looking to improve your style or get guidance, then you shouldn’t wait to hire one.
A personal stylist can even be the practical choice in some cases. Imagine the minutes and hours you spend shopping or picking out your clothing each week. Multiple that by 52, and you’ll realize that the amount of time you spend on these activities is pretty high. By hiring a stylist, you can put that time toward work or relaxation. This can either allow you to more effectively do your job or simply enjoy your life a little more. In either case, a personal stylist improves your overall wellbeing.
Looking to find a style coach who can bring out the best version of you? Learn more about VARD/MOV and why Vard is not your average personal stylist.
How to Find a Personal Stylist
Finding a personal stylist is a delicate process. This is someone who will have a big influence on the way you present yourself to the world. This is a position that comes with a lot of trust and, thus, is a decision that you should not take lightly.
We suggest that you start by looking for all of the options that are available to you. Look for a stylist for hire in your area online. In addition, look for virtual stylists, as some work entirely online and may not have a physical office at all.
Then, weed out the options based on the reviews. Options with excessively bad reviews should be passed over in favor of better choices.
From here, the process gets murkier. Since style is a highly individual idea, the best stylist for someone depends on what that person is looking for. This means that the “best” stylist for one person may be the “worst” for another. Because of this, you will need to find the best choice for you based on your own wants and needs. To help with this, we created a list of helpful questions you can use as you consider your options (which you can find in the next section).
After you’ve made your choice, you simply need to reach out to them to complete the process. They will work with you to finalize the deal and go forward from there.
Questions to Ask a Personal Stylist
When considering hiring a personal stylist, you may want to ask them a few questions before pulling the trigger. This will allow you to know them better and truly discover if they are the right choice for you.
Some good questions to ask before you hire a stylist:
- What is your personal style? This will allow you to get to know them better. For example, if their dramatic glam style is what you are going for, it may be a perfect match.
- How will you develop and understand my style? Every personal stylist has a different approach to getting to know their client. Some will take time out of their schedule to develop an in-depth understanding of what you are looking for, while others will be more bare-bones in their approach. Having a stylist that will take time to know the real you is a must.
- How and when will we be in contact? You need to have a relationship with your stylist that will work for both of your schedules. If they need to meet in person, but you would prefer to meet online, then you may need to find someone else. Meanwhile, if they aren’t able to find time to meet with you based on your schedule, you may need to find someone who can.
- Do you make money on commissions? Some stylists make commissions when they sell clothing from a certain brand or a certain store. If this is true, it could influence their suggestions. They may try to get you to buy from that brand or store, even when it isn’t in your best interest. This isn’t always the case, but it is something to be wary of when entering a relationship with a stylist.
- How much do you charge? You need a stylist that will fit into your budget. This will obviously vary from person to person, making some stylists an option for some and restricting some as an option.
Ready to get started with a personal stylist who can help you capture your own distinct style? Schedule your free online consultation with VARD/MOV today.
Hiring a Personal Stylist
A personal stylist can transform the way the world sees you and, thus, transform your life. However, you need to make sure you hire the right one. By following some of the tips and tricks outlined here, you can find a personal stylist that will help you make the best impression.